Sunday, February 22, 2009

Electrical Short

For once, since starting school I felt like fussing with my plants today. Maybe it was fate b/c as I groomed my plants and was looking them over I heard this noise that sounded as if someone was walking around the kitchen and the floor was creaking. The floor never creaked before.... Then the telltale "sssssstt!" sound came about above my head as I was squatting looking at the lower two shelves of my orchids. I looked up...I knew what that sound was! I just had to locate where it came from. I saw the smoke, but wasn't sure where it came from still...all the lights were working! I flipped the switch off so that it wouldn't start a house fire and went and got J. He came over to look at it. We could definitely smell it now....electronics burning. After his lookover we turned on the lights again on the grow stand and it wasn't the light I thought it was (top light), but instead it was the second shelf that was out! I guess the smoke rose... I unplugged that one. I guess now instead of buying more bulbs I have to buy a whole new unit too! Ugh...they are not easy to get in once the stand is where it is supposed to be with plants underneath it! I don't know what would've happened had I not been there. How is it that I am always around when electrical shortages happen???

No comments: