Monday, November 15, 2010

A bit late....and on time.

I've been quite busy so I haven't had much time for gardening this year, much to my dismay. The sun set at 5pm today and by the time I got home, it was dark already. I had cut my dahalia a week or two ago and I needed to dig it up before winter set in hard. So begrudgingly I went out in the dark since it was going to rain tomorrow. The clump was smaller than last year, but I probably severed it from a larger root system and only got two small bits. It's probably enough though. This way, I don't feel obligated to save and plant all of it. If the rest of it dies underground I will just consider it compost!

While digging my dahlia out I saw little green nubbins. My garlic had already grown! I hope it has a nice nap this winter and grow some big bulbs for me!

I still have yet to figure out how to overwinter my pitcher plants and the like. I think I will bury some outside. My plans of keeping them inside over the winter were shot as the perfect room to keep them in will be occupied soon for a few weeks. I can't exactly ask guests to sleep in 44˚F weather :) My coal cellar isn't cold enough yet and neither is my front porch, but hopefully my front porch won't get too chilly as my hot peppers are overwintering there since I am out of space, especially out of light!

No comments: