Sunday, October 21, 2012

Fall Happenings

Earlier this month, on Columbus Day (October 8th), I planted my new Music garlic bulbs. These were HUGE! I got them from Enon Valley Garlic. I mulched them heavily so they ought to be happy campers! I still need more mulch, but have yet to get more. I need to not procrastinate as winter is fast approaching and I will lose things if I don't!

Today was also the first day of the Orchid Festival. I walked in with every intention of not buying everything I like, but I admit, I have an addiction. LOL I am not going back tomorrow! LOL I did pick up a few unique items: Cynoches Wine Delight 'Jem', Bulbophyllum makoyanum, Tuberloabium woodii, Bulbophyllum Ambrosia, Bulbophyllum medusae, Trias picta and Dendrobium peguanum. Looks like I picked up mostly species! I'm not sure why I picked up Tuberloabium woodii though. It's not something I normally would pick, but I guess it looked sweet enough! I will probably tire of it quickly though. Trias picta reminded me of Masdevallias so I had to try it! Bulbophyllum medusae I had once upon a time....but it died. I bought a new one this past spring (quite a large one too), but it didn't do so well with me. It is just barely hanging on, so I got a new one. Dendrobium peguanum I couldn't pass up for $15! It was interesting enough and it was even in spike also that I had to try it! Cynoches Wine Delight 'Jem' was a stunner that I kept eyeing and figured I would regret it if I didn't buy it. I'm not doing awesome with those types, however, I haven't killed the one I have a relative of yet! Knock on wood, I won't! Bulbophyllum Ambrosia just had a really pretty flower I couldn't pass up! So there you have it, my addiction!

I came home and settled my newbies in and went outside to bury my pitcher plants...got one small one buried and got tired of it! I'm going to try something new this year instead....I brought them indoors and placed them in my basement in the old coal cellar. It stays pretty chilly in there....40s? It probably won't like being so dark in there, but we'll see. They are just too big to bury anymore! I filled the bird feeder and called it a day as I was just exhausted from being woken up too early by my husband's alarm and the dog jumping on the bed! :S

No comments: