Sunday, November 30, 2008

Year in Review

The backyard on the side and by the wall in the back did not get enough water this year. I had a hard time growing my ferns and since those are the only things that would grow back there in an area that lacks such light that was a bit disappointing to me, but the soil is clay. I need some compost mixed into it....maybe that would help retain some moisture. I'm hoping that my ferns just went dormant and will come back next spring. I was really hoping for a nice lush fern garden!

My herb pot did really well this year and I wish I could've saved it for next year, but I couldn't keep them going inside the house. There just wasn't enough room for another big pot! Hopefully next year I will be able to find the same herbs to grow and maybe the front porch will be done by then so that I could maybe save my herbs.

The sweet potato vine grew like a weed up front as you saw in previous photos. When I finally cut it back after our first hard frost I found potatoes! I saved those in hopes that I could just plant them next spring.

The garlic was a big small this year, but that was to be expected since I did not plant them last fall (I didn't have any!). So hopefully next year....I'll get some good ones!

I didn't eat any of the tomatoes I grew...the ones that I would eat were the result of weed & feed and I did not want to ingest things grown with that. I did however, try the garlic grown in it since I just had to taste what home grown garlic would taste like after trying to grow them for a few years! It was some STRONG garlic!

The grass I thought looked pretty good this year...it helped that Samba did not run zoomies in it all the time now that he is older and more mature. There were some clover in it, but it fixes nitrogen in the soil so I didn't really mind too much.

No comments: