Monday, August 11, 2014

Journaling, Squash, Kale, Tomatoes, Springtime Nursery

I was looking back at my blog last night as I saw a new tomato had ripened up to see what it was that I had planted (Pineapple). I have been really bad at documenting this stuff on here! Luckily I did write a few notes to myself on my phone! I need to do better. Better labeling and better journaling!

So yesterday, I went outside to check on the squash....looks like both my acorn squash withered away. Guess I won't have any acorn squash this year! My baby watermelon has now disappeared also. It was about the size of a pea. There is absolutely no signs of any squash whatsoever! My kale is doing well now that the rabbit is dead. If I didn't mention how the rabbit died....apparently a neighborhood cat dismantled it while I was at work. I came home to the dog going nuts around the yard sniffing its tracks out. When I went to investigate, I found a baby still in its sac, a large intestine, small intestine, liver and a scalped and gutted rabbit all in separate areas!

So it turns out my volunteer tomatoes (at least one of them) is Red Currant! Gotta love those heirloom tomatoes!

The other thing I need to do is space out my plantings some more. It is so deceiving in the spring when your plants are little to judge how big they are going to get. Next year, I also have to rotate things around now that I have the space to do so! They always say to not plant tomatoes in the same spot each year. I haven't had an issue, but why chance it when I can rotate?

I think I forgot to mention Springtime...the nursery. Back in May, I had ordered $100+ worth of Hakone grass. It took them a month and half to inform me that they were out of stock! Seriously? I really needed them too...now my project is at a stand still! Humph! I've been keeping my eye out at garden centers and nurseries and no one seem to carry any either? Guess I will have to look for it again next year with the same vendor. I'm not usually a fan of mass plantings, although it does have a dramatic effect, I just like too many different types of plants to do such a thing. :)

No comments: